Thursday, August 27, 2009

We're here!

We made it. A bit crazy, dog tired, but in one piece:) The house is mainly unpacked. Md house is almost finished. Crazy carpet cleaning fiasco - hopefully will wrap up soon and not cost and arm and a leg! Elek started school(on time) and only had two "problems." Elek is loving being in the same class as his cousin! (Totally a random thing.)
The country is fun! I forget how calm it is here. The kids love playing in their own yard. We are the only ones parking in our "space" :) The kids have gone to the frog pond several times and we currently have four frogs upstairs plus one Shaun just found in the laundry room. Still trying to figure that one out?!! I'm getting used to driving in no traffic and have to remember to leave space between me and the car I'm passing. (They actually want to let me in!!)
For those that don't know - we moved into our old house. The tenants moved out the end of July and it was empty so we moved back in until it sells. Our tenants were good and they just moved down the street. Good and bad. We really like them, but the house was a little dirty. Many thanks to my mother in law who scrubbed a black shower for me when I was so tired of cleaning and unpacking that it was moved way down the priority list. So far we have installed a microwave, oiled all the wood work(kitchen cabinets, trim and bathrooms), scrubbed floors, replaced two shower heads and installed closet doors. Currently working on re caulking the kitchen sink and two toilets, replacing shower drain that was cracked, replacing ripped out dry wall from said leak, and finding places for all those pesky "things" we have. Man I just "love" owning a house!!! Ha ha:) really we do - it's nice to fix, replace things whenever we want -just wish someone else was paying for it though!!!
I wanted to write about Elek's school. *warning this does get a bit long, but I wanted to remember it. feel free to skim past* The first day He was so excited! I worried about him all day! Shaun the boys and I waited for him at the bus stop. We chatted with old neighbors and were caught up on all the neighborhood gossip. So silly! The bus came the kids got off and no Elek. I asked the driver if she had one more. Wow! She got nervous fast! She checked the bus - no kids. Looking back I am shocked I was so calm. I just knew He was with his cousins. Shaun and I were actually thinking this was very funny. We were so confident we drove to the next subdivision without calling to pick him up. If we were anywhere else I know I would have Just freaked out! We ended up at my sister in laws(inside) with no one there. Mean while my sister in law was inside my house with her kids and elek. Ironic no doors were locked? Anyways, it ended up I told elek to make sure he got on the bus with his cousins and He heard go home with your cousins! Elek said he had a good day. That night after tucking him in - he came out with huge tears. Apparently he had to have a "chat" with his teacher because he wasn't keeping his hands to himself. No surprise. I've been telling him to do that for years. But coming from this new person then having minutes taken away during recess really through him. During the middle of this sadness he says, "and I'm not riding the bus any more either!" I asked him why and Elek says in his most serious voice, "because it STINKS!" I couldn't help but laugh! I told him yes the bus probably does stink because it is hot and kids get sweaty and that makes things smell bad. So funny! The next morning Elek gets into his I'm not going to school thing. I'm thinking of options. 1. elek is strong. He is more than half my size and can knock a grown man down. Like completely to the ground - there is no way I can pick him up and squeeze him through that small bus door with out problems. 2. I don't want to start a pattern of fighting him every morning about going to school. I remembered I had to take his birth certificate to school and told him he could ride along with me. Elek was very concerned his teacher would still be mad at him and would think he wasn't trying to be good and learn all the rules. I told him I would tell his teacher with him there he was trying. We dropped off his certificate then planned the timing so I could talk with the teacher, but be forced to leave with school starting. When I first walked in the teacher was defensive. I think she thought I was going to tell her she should be nice to my kid. However, she lightened up when I told her it would be hard for her and elek. I was sorry and good luck, but Elek was going to try really hard to keep his hand to himself. My poor boy. His eyes were all glossy and his face was red. He was trying so hard to be brave and not cry. It was so hard for me to look at him and not scoop him up and tell him he never had to do this and could come home with me. While he put his backpack away I controlled myself and was able to give him a big hug. Elek did jump into my arms so I ended up holding him, but it was hard to treat him like the school kid he now is. As I walked out of the class kids were in the hall excitedly going to their classes and lockers and I could hardly see them through my tears. My little guy was learning a very important lesson that is so hard for him and I could feel how much he was hurting and struggling. I know it's silly "keep your hands to yourself," common sense. But Elek has such a hard time controlling this and He is really trying. I ask him every day how he did and He is so excited when he can report back that he did good and didn't have to have any "chats." Thankfully there has been no more problems and Elek really enjoys school and the bus:)
Meanwhile Keenan Myster has been all over the place. He was really being...well... rotten. Keenan has the sweetest, silliest, content personality. But during this move "stuff" He has had major mood swings and screaming fits. Completely different kid. Thankfully he is doing better this week. Today Keenan was quite enjoyable! He had all his silliness back. I told him that while Elek was at school he was the biggest boy here! Keenan rised to the occasion and really made good choices. Today we stopped by grandma Haney's. I was fixing a hole in the table outside and Keenan and Camden came out with me. There was a big storm the night before. It broke the umbrella off the patio set! Well several unfortunate bugs were caught in the storm and landed(dead) on the deck. Keenan and I went on a bug find! We found a beautiful green and yellow dragonfly, Shiny green beetle, assassin bug, cicada, and a whole pile(not kidding) like 20 cicada shells! These things were huge all the bugs were huge! Keenan put them all on a paper and we labeled them "Keenan's bug find!" The love this boy had pouring out of him was priceless. The twinkle in his eyes was back and stayed all day. All day! It was so nice to have him back. Shaun and I are downstairs and we heard Keenan yelling. Shaun went up. Apparently Keenan went poop and wanted someone to wipe his bum(still working on him do that one). Shaun asked him if he was calling us a long time. Keenan said, "Yeah, I've been yelling because I've been sitting on this potty a hundred years!" Yes, back to his silliness:)
That leaves Camden boy. He has decided to go into his second year of life the traditional way...oh those two's! Something funny though - When something just exasperates him. He will slump his shoulders and get those frumpy eyebrows I love, then purses his lips. Quite humorous:) I'll have to try and get a picture. The other day Camden and I ran errands together. No we didn't pick up Erin or go to her house:) The two of us went to 8 yes eight different places in and hour and a half! It was great - Camden was so good too and even fell asleep on the way home and transferred to bed without waking! Some of my favorite things he's saying are; guuys!, frys and I uv you!

6 comments:

Rachel@ A Little Bit of Ray said...

We had the controller "plugged in" for a while but Harlee decided to walk around w/ it and almost pulled the Wii off the dresser. So I had to wrap around the cord. The joys of moving... at least it sounds like things are calming down. I hope you get everything done as soon as you want.

thepainterfamily said...

YEA! I'm so glad you're back. I loved all your observations about KC...I felt the same way..the traffic, the space...and the PEOPLE are so friendly. Random strangers in grocery stores starting meaningful conversations! :)

What a wild ride these last two years have been. But I have to say I am grateful. For all the experiences and people I've met. I know you feel the same! :)

Ali said...

WELCOME BACK!! I'm so sorry I haven't had the chance to chat with you yet, but I'm so excited to have you back in the ward! Did Melinda get all your family info. for Primary?

Jann said...

I am glad you are there safely, and things are going smoothly.

Deb said...

i didn't even know you'd left! i don't know where i've been but we miss you! glad things are working out in the new/old house. it's SO much work moving. i hope things get settled soon, but i'm glad you're enjoying the country and a return to friendly people. :)

Christie said...

I read this FOREVER ago, and I am positive I commented too... what the heck. I am glad you are there safe... I hope Elek gets stuff @ school worked out really quickly. I proofed a few more of your pics today..watch Flickr. Oh and you can click on those thumb nails and see your pics the big way like they were on the front page. :-) YOu can even click on "all sizes" at the top and see it real big. :-) Just FYI